Saturday 17 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - A - C updated

A is for Athena and Apples of the Hesperides

Original planning sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter A including Athena and apple (of Hesperides)

New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter A including Athena and apple (of Hesperides)

As you can see nothing much has changed in this instance. The proportions and arrangement is slightly different, but nothing has really changed. It's just the square is larger than the page I was originally drawing on.

Sadly I'm still struggling with a way to incorporate the Great A'Tuin. No room in A or G or T....hmmm...maybe she can name her child a name with several As in it, then I can make some extra letter As.

B is for Big Bird and Books

Original planning sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter B including Big bird and books
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter B including Big bird and books

Here also not much has changed, although I think I might do a little more work. Big Bird's face is nearly right but not quite there. Also I still want to include books, but my current placement works in pencil but will be fiddly to execute in cloth. Will have a think.

C is for the Cheshire Cat

Original planning sketches
First original sketch for geeky letter C including the Cheshire cat and the constellation of Ursa Major (the myth of the nymph Callisto)

Second original sketch for geeky letter C simplified with just the Cheshire cat and not the constellation
New sketch
Second original sketch for geeky letter C simplified with just the Cheshire cat and not the constellation
So you can see here that I chose the simpler design for the letter C. There were a variety of factors but I want these letters to have some clarity to them and be easy to read. Also I have some great ideas about ways to make it look like the Cheshire cat is disappearing. I still want the stars in there somewhere and the constellation of Ursa Major/The Plough and its attached myth of Callisto will be referenced.

No comments: