Sunday 18 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - J to L

Three letters at a time is slow going!

J is for Jam

“The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday-but never jam today"
"It must come sometime to jam today", Alice objected
"No it can't" said the
[White] Queen, "It's jam every other day. Today isn't any other day, you know”
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter J for Jam
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter J for Jam
I did have one other option for J - Jedi but how does one draw "jedi". I could draw a light saber, I could draw Luke Skywalker, but the concept of "jedi" is hard to put on paper so I had to ignore it both times. I did originally start out with a smaller jam jar but I wanted to write "yesterday" and "tomorrow" on the label so it had to be larger.

K is for Kraken

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky letter K for Kraken
New sketch
New sketch for geeky letter K for Kraken
Other suggestions were K9 and knight but somehow I didn't fancy them and I liked the idea of the kraken.

L is for luggage

Original sketch
New sketch
To be precise the luggage from Terry Pratchett's wizard books. I don't think he's in the non-Rincewind stories but perhaps he is. I did consider Light sabers and Loki as you can see from the original sketch and notes, but the Mum herself asked for luggage when I offered and light sabers are more interesting in film and tv than on a static drawing or collage.
Fan art of Pratchett's character the living luggage
This image also appealed to me
More fan art of Pratchett's character the living luggage
My current plan is to make the lid of the luggage a flap and have a flappy tongue as well.

No comments: