Sunday 18 August 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet - P to R

P is for Persephone

Original sketch
Original sketch for geeky P for pomegranate and Persephone
New sketch
New sketch for geeky P for pomegranate

I always wanted to have a Persephone reference but as I mentioned in an earlier post, there's nothing distinctive about Persephone. I did have her disappearing off picture originally but I decided in the interest of simplicity it wasn't really much use just to have a skirt and foot in the picture.
The pomegranate has also moved as I liked the idea of matching the curve of the fruit and the curve of the letter P.

Q is for Queens

Original sketch
New sketch

No real changes to comment on here.

R is for R2D2

Original sketch

Original sketch for geeky letter R for (white) rabbit
New sketch attempt 1
New sketch attempt 2
 Second attempt at a new sketch for geeky letter R for R2D2 on his own

So as you can see a variety of revisions have happened. The first thing I should admit is my original sketches at first accidentally missed out the letter R. No idea how that happened but hey. When did draw it I was dithering and uncertain what to put in it. I had thought of the Red Queen, but Q is a tough letter, so Queens (red and white) ended up in Q. And so I meandered into (White) Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. Something I'm fond of but seemed a bit of stretch. Turning to the new sketch I'd forgotten my old sketch and had R2D2 suggested/reminded to me. Then I got onto the track of Ra the sun god. And then as we described for the letter H for Heracles, I got the wrong symbol. This is Horus' symbol.
So this fitted nicely with the fact I felt R2 was too small anyway and too fiddly to sew. And so we end up with design 2 - hurrah!

No comments: