Wednesday 4 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : G is for Ghostbusters!

Ghostbusters!!! 

This one was really quick but fiddly. I did debate using non felt cloth, but the fiddlyness put me off. Part of what made it fiddly is that white is quite transparent, which means I couldn't take the easy option and just build up layers as this would make the white go dull.

This left me with a sort of jigsaw puzzle specially as [retraction] I decided to use a satin for one part. Foolishly I had accidentally cut it on the bias which meant it refused to behave without umpteen pins. Unfortunately on this scale pins rather distort the fabric. As I don't have infinite hands and fingers it was the only option. You can see what I mean in this first picture.

G is for Ghostbusters - pieces pinned down with loooooooooooots of pins

Sewing down the cross piece dramatically reduced the pins (hooray!)

G for Ghostbusters with the main crosspiece sewn to reduce the pins by about a million

I also mostly sewed things down apart from the far edges and then tidied up my fabric cutting as that way I could see how much I could afford to trim. With everything sewn down, I had edged the parts of the ghost that came outside the circle to make them obvious, and to separate out the cross bar from the G. However, having done this it looked not quite right so I decided it all needed outlining in black.

The completed G for Ghostbusters with black outlining

For those of you interested, this is the back, where you can see I didn't quite manage to line up exactly with the plan but it more or less was the same shape and placement!

Back of the sewing of G for Ghostbusters - actual created sewing more or less matches design but not quite

No comments: