Wednesday 11 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : J is for Jam

"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day." Alice through the looking glass

This was a relatively simple design which I could build up in straightforward layers. Because of the many pins on each layer, I sewed each layer down separately in order.

I started building up the layers before I had chosen the colour for the letter J although I had narrowed it down to yellow or green.

I chose this fabric for the jam jar because it is a mixed pattern as I liked the idea of the different colours as jam in a jar isn't normally just one plain colour.

First layer of J for Jam - the red and black material

Second layer of J for Jam - white for the label and the cover/lid and embroidered string round the lid edge

When I came to finally choose the letter J I was still debating green but I took a small poll and they voted yellow. I'm afraid it wasn't a hard sell as I love yellow.

Third layer of J for Jam - the letter J in yellow felt

Final touch was the writing on the label. Yesterday went fine but tomorrow took some unpicking to get the letters to fit.

Completed J is for Jam

By chance some friends saw the following jam on sale and had to buy me one. Fab!

Real pot of jam themed around Alice through the looking glass with the quote about jam tomorrow and yesterday on it

Real pot of jam themed around Alice through the looking glass with "eat me" written on the top


Also, an update on Icarus, votes were in and they said yes to feather details on the wings.

Here it is!
Final version of I is for Icarus and Ionic columns

No comments: