Sunday 15 September 2013

G[r]eek Alphabet : M is for Medusa

The first thing that happened when I started making this one was I felt that although I liked my design as a drawing I was not looking forward to making or embroidering the snakes so small and so many.
 
So I decided I needed to make her head larger so the snakes could be larger and easier and played with how this would work.
Initial re-sketch test of M for Medusa. Only has her head, V of the M comes down over her forehead

With this first test sketch I was hoping it would have more of a Scarlet Witch type effect. Like this image:
Headshot pic of Scarlet Witch
But it didn't entirely work with the v of the M hitting Medusa's head.

So then I thought of bringing her head down further.
Initial re-sketch test of M for Medusa. Only has her head, filling the lower section. Hair spirallish inspired by ancient Greek pottery depictions

The hair and style is influenced by ancient Greek Pottery designs of Medusa. A Medusa Gorgon head on ancient Greek pottery. She sticks out her tongue and her snakes are in little coils all around her head. She has fangs

So then I thought I better make her a little smaller and thought I'd bring her to one side like Athena in A or Heracles in H.
M for Medusa, Medusa is to one side and is torso and head. Hair partly obscures part of the M

This brought in a new issue - what was I going to do with her snake hair so that it doesn't obscure the M too much? At first I thought the hair might be OK if the M was strong enough.
I started colour testing it with a strong red coloured letter M and making her hair go different ways.
M for Medusa, colour sketch. Medusa is to one side and is torso and head. Seeing how I can arrange the hair to keep the letter M clear and easy to read. Here it is part obscured by hair and part not

This final sketch made it clear to me that most of the hair would have to be behind the M.
M for Medusa, colour sketch. Medusa is to one side and is torso and head. Seeing how I can arrange the hair to keep the letter M clear and easy to read. Here all the hair is behind the letter M.

Then it was back to materials. I had chosen this funky fun stretchy cord that was shiny but it was also quite pale and the background cloth was pale yellow, so I went back to option 2 - green felt as I couldn't face hemming up all the snakes.

I did debate making her darker but I was already a bit edgy that the one bad person (or nasty character) on the alphabet was a woman, I didn't fancy making the one black woman in the selection a monster. I had some additional debates about including such a scary character as well at all at this point but decided kids like a few monsters. I was also cheered by finding on a funky classics website that in some versions Medusa is just born a monster rather than a punishment for pride and beauty! See Theoi : Medusa and the Gorgons which includes translated primary source literary references.

After that it was pretty simple to make being mainly ribbon and felt.
M for Medusa with the ribbon and felt pinned in place

M for Medusa with main sewing down of ribbon and felt, plus the face embroidered. No dress yet.

When I came to pin down the dress/top I was getting fed up with the way the pins buckle the fabric when you are using such a small piece. I used a technique that would normally only be used to pin things in place on a cushion - see below pins like studs
Pinning down Medusa's top - pinned straight front to back to make pinning flatter. Looks like "studs" from the front
 From the back you can see the pins look like a hedgehog but they were very easy to avoid and sewing went quickly meaning you could get rid of them pretty quickly.
Pinning down Medusa's top - pinned straight front to back to make pinning flatter. Looks like a hedgehog from the back!
 So there we go! She's done! I may add in some shoulder brooches. I haven't decided at this point. I rather like her. Specially the eyes and forked tongues on the snakes.
I even looked up whether snakes have pink tongues - some certainly seem to!

Real phonto of a snake with forked tongue sticking out - pink tongue

No comments: