Sunday 21 December 2014

Whoops - That thing where you've missed a bit

In writing my recent blogpost I realised I had never written up about making Clara Clayton/Brown. I can't reproduce most of my thoughts about the process at such a remove. I did have some debate about what she should be wearing but eventually settled on this outfit, partly through the exigencies of what I had available, fabric-wise.
Close up of Clara Clayton's outfit from the waist upClara Clayton's full outfit

It was a comparatively simple basic design, as I now do as standard, the basic doll is made and the skirt is sewn onto it once the main plushie is sewn and stuffed.

The only special part of the design from my part, was to include a bustle, which sadly I have not photographed. I put some addition padding on her posterior as mostly the plushies have no bottom to speak of. Bustles always make me think of my Oma, who had to wear one, and who told me people were very jealous of her posterior because it meant she didn't have to wear much of a bustle(!).

Clara Clayton plushie without hat

The other fiddly part was the hat. I made a roll of filler out of some leftovers from deconstructing the shinpads to make the Wonderwoman bracers, and then covered it with ribbon and did something similar for the brim, then added the ribbon. I had some spare around and this meant the new owner could have two alternative colours as they chose. The hat was then sewn onto the head. It is not removable.
 
The final touch was a small bit of silver decoration in embroidery for the buttons and edging. A sensible woman would have done this at an earlier stage like Clara's frizzy fringe, unfortunately I'm not a sensible woman so I did it pretty much last.


As far as I can tell the new owner is very very happy.

No comments: