Saturday 30 January 2016

Page 5 - remembering things passed


At this point I started to think about the eventual compilation of all the pages and realised something I thought I'd planned for earlier - if I used the pages as is, pages 5 and 6 were going to be back to back.

This was not at all what I'd hoped for. My aim was for pages 5 and 6 to be a double page spread, with the Oma (grandma) on one page talking to the child on the opposite page who is responding to her question. I did not at all want for them to be back to back with each other.

I debated starting the first page of the story inside the front cover, but I didn't really like that as people don't tend to look there first for page 1.I decided I'd have a blank page on the back of page 1 which should pass semi unnoticed.

This particular page is important to me because it includes a sort of homage to my own Oma, because she was the one who taught me this nursery rhyme and because I love her.

Despite the fact the fabrics were not super stretchy for some reason  when I cut the speech bubble out and then pinned it on, it strangely shrunk. I'm not sure how obvious this is from the reverse.

It meant I shifted the writing slightly to fit in the smaller space. You can also see that the head of the Oma move slightly and the feet moved up although on the whole it is more or less in place as I planned.

You can also see that things have got kind of bumpy at the back. Again, not entirely sure how this happened except I probably should have put in more pins.

 However, from the front everything has worked out looking OK. You can see below that the page is a bit bumpy but looks fine. I had intended her whole chair to be applique but the fabric chosen was too thick to use for the arm of the chair on the right so I tidied up some of the details with embroidery instead.
 My Oma often sat in quite a high upright chair like this when I was growing up. I rather like how she came together.

When I sew I like to "watch" tv, by which I mean listen with some peripheral watching and occassional looking up. Podcasts also go down well. For this particular page, I did a lot of the sewing of the Oma while listening to the recorded google hangouts for Vaginal Fantasy Romance Book Club.

This records the last of catch up as I've barely started the next page. I have a few more making of pics to add in to the blog but there will be at least a brief interruption before [not very] regularly scheduled programming returns.

No comments: